Work with Open Food Network
Senior Full Stack Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
- Full-time position (negotiable, minimum 0.8 FTE)
- 12 month fixed-term contract
- Flexible working conditions
- Location: online, access to Preston, Melbourne preferable
- Salary $101,764 (+ 10% Super) – pro rata
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer (Ruby on Rails) to join our team. The primary responsibilities are in relation to the CERES Fair Food application, but there may be opportunities for the right person to extend into Open Food Network’s global development processes.
The CERES Fair Food application is built in Ruby on Rails with a fairly good test coverage. It provides the online shop, including payments and stock management as well as reporting and packing sheets. It integrates with a few third-party services like SecurePay, Campaign Monitor and Routific. Our processes involve test-driven development, peer review and allow for continuous deployment. We value good code quality.
This is a full-time role for 38 hours per week, however if you’re keen to be part time, then this is negotiable. Minimum hours would be 30.4 hours per week. The role is fixed term for 12 months, with possibility to extend beyond this.
Most of the work will be remote, but we value occasional co-working and/or more regular on-site work at CERES to build relationships and understanding of the enterprise. So there is a preference for the person to be based in Melbourne, with reasonable access to the inner north (Preston) so that it is possible to sometimes meet and work with the CERES Fair Food team.
We’re a super flexible workplace, but will want you to do at least two-thirds of your hours within Mon-Fri 10am-5pm to ensure cross-over with other team members. You will be able to work out and agree suitable work times with the team, and fit in sessions with others when convenient for all involved.
Your core responsibility is to continue developing and improving the CERES Fair Food application.
Key responsibilities related to this include:
- Implementing new features , including interpreting requirements to support efficient and effective solution design;
- Identifying critical technical upgrades in a timely manner;
- Detecting and squashing bugs on the backend or the frontend with clean, maintainable and tested code;
- Driving quality at all stages of the software delivery process;
- Respond to urgent and critical issues to minimise downtime of the CERES Fair Food online shop;
- Engage with teams at both Open Food Network and CERES, working closely to ensure effective delivery and great outcomes;
- Understanding of Open Food Network products and relevant projects.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
We are looking for someone who is values-driven, empathetic, proactive, and imaginative. You should be the kind of person that takes initiative and gets stuff done. You have solid experience in full-stack software development. We are primarily interested in:
- Experience with frontend and backend development
- Able to work with the latest Rails tools, MariaDB and a bit of Coffeescript
- Reactive Rails is not mandatory but a big bonus. You need to want to learn.
- HTML & CSS
- Have an understanding/appreciation of design processes and user centred product development
- Good organisational, time management and communication skills
You may also: have contributed to open source software projects, and have worked on other ecommerce or food distribution software.
You’ll need your own computer, phone and internet connection.
All our people share a dedication to doing good in the world and we take pride in our work. We are farmers, software developers, house builders, asylum seekers, gardeners, herbal lore novices, climbers, bakers, weight lifters, capoeira trainers, dog, cat and chicken owners, partners, parents, carers, and most importantly, we’re good people. We are definitely a workplace where you bring your whole self to work.
If you have any questions or wish to arrange an alternative method of application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Senior Full Stack Engineer (Ruby on Rails) enquiry via Website.
To apply for the job, visit our listing on Ethical Jobs. Applications close on Friday 9 September at 5pm.
When we have capacity, we offer a small number of unpaid internships to students undertaking the work as part of their tertiary studies. This is at the discretion of supervising staff in terms of workload and possible projects.
Internships must be mutually beneficial to organisation and intern. The outcomes for internships should be:
- Intern has a positive experience of our ways of working, is exposed to new ways of working, and feels supported while they are with us.
- Intern learns new skills that can be applied in future roles to build a better food system.
- Intern can demonstrate to future employers that they were responsible for a valued piece of work.
- Open Food Network completes a nice-to-have project that expands our impact and/or understanding in food systems.
- Open Food Network hears new perspectives.
- Open Food Network staff gain experience in mentoring.
Our organisation works remotely, you will need access to a reliable computer and internet to undertake this internship.
Can we help?
Have an idea, a project or a question? Want help using the Open Food Network software? Get in touch and find out how we can help you with it.
Create a listing, shop or group directory on the Open Food Network. Tell me more!
We take good care of your data. See our cookies policy
Open Food Network respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the unceded lands on which we meet, work and live. We pay our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging and acknowledge their deep spiritual relationship to country.