How to find grant and
Want to know where to go or who to approach for funding or grant opportunities?
Do you have a great idea for starting or building on a community food project in your area?
Do you require infrastructure that would improve or enable you to achieve more with your community food enterprise?
Here are 4 steps to get you exploring what funding opportunities may be available to suit your needs:
1. Contact your local politicians at all levels of government
Local politicians will often have a discretionary fund, invitation only grants and more. Reaching out is a good relationship building exercise. Get your community representative familiar with your project and why you are looking for funding.
2. Search the following websites for funding opportunities:
- Federal: GrantConnect, Community Grants Hub, State-Based Community Grant Guide, Business Grants & Programs Finder
- State & Local: Check your State Government departments particularly in the areas of: agriculture, economic development, community, public health, sustainability
- Foundation for Rural & Regional Renewal
- Farming Together
- Small Farms Network Sydney
- Landcare – you can also connect to your local group
- CERES – Grants, Competitions, and Awards
- Sustainable Table Fund
- FarmTable – AgFunding Database
- Young Farmers Connect – Funding, Grants, Financial Support Resources
- Philanthropy Australia – How to seek funding
3. Subscribe to newsletters
We aim to share any funding opportunities we come across, so make sure that you’ve subscribed to our newsletter! Have a look at some of the other organisations above and more, so that you can keep informed of opportunities as soon as they become available.
Please note this is not an exhaustive list and we welcome suggestions that you may have to add to the list.
4. Further grant and funding resources
There are also online services that provide networks of grants:
Benefit: make it easy to find funding to suit your needs & alleviate much of the researching time ! Drawback: often require a membership, subscription or fee for service.
Resources to build your skills:
We have lots of resources to help you build your fundraising skills! Check out some of the helpful resources across our site:
- Understanding Different Types of Grants
- Funding your Community Food Enterprise
- Resources to help you run a crowdfunding campaign
- Food Solution- A Community Food Enterprise Startup Guide
- Community Food Enterprises report
Do you need help with grant writing?
Grant-writing can be an intimidating and time-consuming process. Open Food Network Australia are here to help with our grant writing services. Find out more:
Can we help?
Have an idea, a project or a question? Want help using the Open Food Network software? Get in touch and find out how we can help you with it.
Create a listing, shop or group directory on the Open Food Network. Tell me more!
We take good care of your data. See our cookies policy
Open Food Network respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the unceded lands on which we meet, work and live. We pay our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging and acknowledge their deep spiritual relationship to country.